Bahar Organization is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organization that provides humanitarian aids to vulnerable people without any discrimination in all its forms. BO is operating to respond to the needs and basic requirements of the humanitarian crisis in Syria in the middle of the affected communities caused by the conflict the basic principles of BO’s activities are to enhance the basic living standards of the affected population by delivering humanitarian aid based on the needs.
General View of the Position:
This position is a managerial one, requiring a solid previous experience in finance management and within the humanitarian sector and/or international organization, while also requesting a solid understanding of the different procedures and policies in place. This position also requires full professional proficiency in English languages.
Candidate should be familiar with audits, internal controls, budget preparations and interested in managing accounting activities, including bank reconciliations, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. He/she should also have excellent organizational skills and be able to handle time-sensitive tasks. Ultimately, he/she will manage Bihar’s financial transactions and procedures.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities and tasks of the Finance Coordinator are the following:
Management & Coordination:
- Foster support function attitude through finding solutions and taking calculated risk
- Ensure regular communication with programs to discuss the projects status, issue and grants health such as questioned cost)
- To ensure the efficient management and supervision of the staff members of the Finance Department of BAHAR: this includes daily supervision of the tasks, follow-up of the targets defined, and appraisal of the staff members.
- To monitor the respect of the financial rules and regulations within BAHAR and for all its staff members.
- To contribute as much as possible to an efficient communication and relevant sharing of information with our HQ, Field Offices, and our different donor regarding to any financial point, including potential financial issues, for the coming audits, financial reports, and financial risks.
- To guarantee the follow-up in terms of any payment, reimbursement or report to be done at the HQ level.
- To work efficiently and in good collaboration with the other department, especially in terms of information-sharing with the Human Resources Department and the Supply Chain Department.
- To visit regularly the countries covered by BAHAR and to provide technical guidance to the Finance team.
- Finance (Accounting & Reporting)
- To ensure an efficient and strong budget follow-up and cost control (including timely closure of the monthly accounting, achievement of the shared costs rules, and timely booking of reconciliations).
- To reinforce the financial rules and regulations in BAHAR Org, including the quality and compliance standards of the financial supporting documentation attached to every voucher;
- To consolidate the financial information about the ongoing projects for each field Office covered by BAHAR to ensure their good financial performance and to cross-check regularly the BFUs of the Projects.
- Participate in the follow-up of the monthly financial management reports.
- To guarantee the quality review of the annual budgets provided by each field Office, including the coherence, conformity, and eligibility of the information provided by the respective field offices for their budgets.
- To ensure the follow-up of BAHAR bank accounts and the liquidity situation, including submitting the Bank Transfer Requests.
- To contribute to elaborating the budgets in the project proposals.
- To review the budgets for the project proposals developed by the program team.
- To monitor the financial management of BAHAR Org by following up on the budget consumption and by controlling the funding coverage and costs engaged while regularly updating the Master Budget.
- Regularly analyze the financial data obtained at the BAHAR HQ level and provide reliable data to the senior management.
Audit & Compliance:
- Ensure Improved donor compliance and accountability (all finance staff).
- Ensure regular updates and follow-up on finance matters outlined in the Risk Register
- To take the lead in case of any financial audit of a projects
- To check and monitor the full compliance of the financial documents for expenses, considering the internal requirements of BAHAR and the external requirements in terms of compliance (donors and potential legal obligations in the relevant country).
- To guide the field Offices concerning compliance, supporting them regarding the internal compliance requirements while advising for the external compliance requirements.
- To identify potential financial risks in BAHAR Org.
- ERP System (Quick Books)
- To ensure efficient support for each HQ & field Office in implementing the Quick Books system for the Finance Track.
- To contribute to the development and elaboration of new learning materials for the Finance staff members in BAHAR.
- To monitor that the Quick Books system is used or will be used at its full capacity at the BAHAR.
- To check that the financial procedures on the Quick Books system are well-respected in HQ & each Field Office and to provide regularly reliable data about the use of BAHAR Org.
- ERP System (Dernekler Bilgi Sistemi _ (DERBİS)
- Managing the Dernekler Bilgi Sistemi _ (DERBİS) for the declaration of expenditures for Syria and reporting to the Government,
- Focus on Chapter 8, Assistance with Domestic Non-Governmental Organizations.
- The candidate for this position can manage the
- Notifications for providing foreign aid.
- Notifications of foreign aid activities result
- Able to report about funds received & funds transfer
- The candidate for this position must have the capacity to manage the association transaction in the DERBIS system by editing the receipt document income and expenses category.
- To train the staff of the Finance Department at HQ and field level about the BAHAR procedures and the use of the ERP (Quick Books System)
- To contribute to the capacity-building of the Finance staff members in the HQ & Field Offices.
- To advise on and promote understanding and application of BAHAR policies, procedures, and principles.
- Performs any other tasks as requested by the Compliance & Internal controls Dep, Finance Coordinator, or Finance Manager.
Academic Qualification/s and Professional Experience:
- University or Institute Degree in Economics – Accountancy or relevant education.
- Training courses in Budgeting, Financial Risk Resolution, and External and Internal Audit. At least 2 years of relevant experience (preferably in Humanitarian aid projects and complicated contexts).
- Minimum four (4) years of senior leadership experience in operations management with at least two (2) years of experience in a similar role in a National or an international NGO.
- At least 2 years in managing USAID funds, financial, compliance, or operational roles supporting BHA and international donor projects.
- Proven leadership skills and competence in people management.
- Proven operational management experience and capability.
- Significant experience in grant management and understanding of institutional fund-raising.
- Proven significant financial management experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels.
- Proficiency (written and spoken) in English is required and Arabic is preferable
- Excellent Computer Skills (MS Office, Internet) and an advanced proficiency in Excel are required.
- Empathy with organizational vision, mission, goals and objectives; commitment to humanitarian principles and actions. Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
Bahar is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants, or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Bahar Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply by completing the form at the following link:
The post will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Kindly note that the position will be filled before the vacancy announcement is closed; therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Source : gelbasla.com