The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral and independent international humanitarian organisation, which assists and protects victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence. The ICRC is currently looking for staff for its support operations in Iraq.
▪ By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practise your profession in stimulating, complex and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can really make a difference.
▪ You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
▪ You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times.
▪ You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
▪ Competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, international retirement savings plan, Medical coverage, life insurance, Final Gratuity, and Mobility allowance).
Job Title: Bench Worker
Number of positions: 2
Duty Station: Iraq –Erbil- Physical Rehabilitation Center.
Reports to: Ortho-Prosthetist.
Duration of Contract: One-year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open-ended contract where performance and competencies are key to be selected for further contractual continuity).
Date of Issue: 07 February 2024.
Deadline for applications: 28 February 2024.
Objective: The Bench Worker assists the Physical Rehabilitation Project Manager, Prosthetist Orthotist (P&O) Team Leader, Bench Worker Supervisor and Ortho-Prosthetists in providing prosthetic and orthotic devices and wheelchairs. S/He uses the equipment, hand tools and materials required to manufacture orthopaedic devices.
▪ Handles the cast impression process, including filling, stripping, and preparing for rectification by the prosthetist and orthotist (P&O) technician, polypropylene cutting, and preparation for drape molding.
▪ Uses the oven and carries out drape molding of casts, vacuum forming, cutting out, smoothing, and preparation of molded forms.
▪ Assembles prosthetic and orthotic components, including bending orthopedic side bars according to design, riveting, mirror welding, and polypropylene rod welding; follows bench alignment principles as instructed per case.
▪ Carries out the finishing and cosmetic preparation of orthopedic devices for delivery.
▪ Undertake repairs, set up, assemble, and finish prostheses and orthoses, and follow Prosthetist Orthotist (PO) technician instructions.
▪ Assembles and repairs wheelchairs, if relevant.
▪ Does metal welding of materials, equipment, and designs as directed.
▪ Coordinate and cooperate with the prosthetist and orthotist (P&O) technician to ensure a proper and effective workflow.
▪ Promotes best practices in collaboration with the physical rehabilitation team and is actively involved in the delivery of service to complicated or complex cases.
▪ Ensure the effective use of ortho materials and other resources allocated for service provision.
▪ Keeps accurate records of the weekly production of new device/Repair.
▪ Performs daily and weekly cleaning activities, including personal working tools and workspace.
▪ Perform the machinery maintenance according to the maintenance schedule and instructions, as well as report immediately in case of a fault or any sudden breakage in any equipment.
Education and Professional Experience required:
▪ At least primary school education.
▪ Educational background as Ortho-prosthetist is an asset.
▪ Diploma or certificate in technical / mechanical courses is an asset.
▪ Fluent command of Kurdish, Good command in English and Arabic language is an asset.
▪ One year of experience as ortho-prosthetist or similar field is desirable.
▪ Experience in working with people with physical disabilities is desirable.
How to Apply: All qualified and interested candidates should forward their applications with a detailed updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating email and phone contacts with a minimum of two professional references, a cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the said job opportunity and your salary expectations. Clearly marked to email@example.com with subject line: SURNAME First Name/ Vacancy tittle.
Female candidates and People with physical disabilities are strongly recommended to apply.
Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq. The successful external candidate will undergo a three months’ probation period.
NB: If you have not heard from us by a Month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.
No Fee: ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).