About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation is a registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering high quality, holistic approaches, which combine international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan Region. SEED’s programming focuses on three key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-development programs; and 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy.
Role of the Lawyer: The purpose of the lawyer position is to provide legal information, counseling and representation to survivors of GBV and/or human trafficking and those at risk of violence. The lawyer reports to the senior lawyer and/or to the Protection and Service Delivery Manager (PSDM) in the absence of the senior lawyer, and receives technical support from the Legal Technical Advisor (LTA).
Legal Service Delivery - 80 %
- Provide legal information, counselling and representation (court and administrative) services in regard to gender based violence, human trafficking and other protection violations.
- Conduct legal awareness sessions and help individuals realize and claim their rights.
- Advocate on behalf of individual clients with relevant stakeholders including courts and the governmental offices to ensure that rights are upheld and protected.
- Ensure that internal and external referrals are well received and followed up in a timely manner.
- Prepare and proceed all paperwork for legal fees and transportation allowances in line with SEED policies.
- Identify case management and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) needs of clients and refer them. This requires close work with case managers-CMs and psychologists to ensure that clients’ needs are met.
- Adhere to all SEED policies including the policies for the legal services policies and SOPs and human resources, finance, security and procurement and logistic policies and procedures.
- At the request of the PSDM/ line manager, attend and represent SEED at meetings and working groups, and ensure coordination with stakeholders and the communities.
- Any other relevant task as assigned by the line manager.
Documentation and Reporting - 15%
- Maintain electronic and physical archiving of legal cases as per the SEED SOPs.
- Provide regular monthly reports on legal activities, cases and challenges to the line manager.
- Identify legal and protection trends and properly document and report them to the Senior Lawyer.
- Develop individual weekly and monthly work plans and share them with the line manager.
- Provide legal analysis and input on the existing laws and policies in KRI at the request of the line manager or the LTA.
- Prepare monthly case presentations to the line Manager
Monitoring and Evaluation - 5%
- Assist in the supervision and monitoring of legal services, as well as maintaining accurate records in accordance with MEAL’s data gathering.
- Follow SEED’s data collection approaches and ensure systematic gathering and accuracy of legal data.
- A bachelor or advanced degree in law
- Membership of Kurdistan Bar Association (Iraqi Bar Association if confirmed s/he is allowed to practice law in KRI).
- Must have a lawyer title of “Consultant” or “Active” for TIP programmes.
- More than 3 years of experience working as a lawyer in the KRI and/or Iraq. NGO work experience is desirable.
- Language requirements: Kurdish (Fluent) and Arabic (Advanced). A working knowledge of English is required for the TIP program and desirable for other programs.
- Ownership and commitment
- Technical proficiency
- Communication and working relationships
- Understanding policies and procedures
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Strong commitment to SEED values and mission.
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this LINK.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, SEED only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Source : NGO Coordination Committee for Iraq